GAUR, Feb 22: Madhav Kumar Nepal, co-coordinator of the Nepali Communist Party and candidate from Rautahat Constituency No. 1, has expressed serious concern over the recent communal tensions in Gaur Municipality, urging all sides to exercise restraint and uphold social harmony.
Speaking to journalists on Saturday, the former prime minister said clashes between Hindu and Muslim communities in Gaur and surrounding areas had disrupted normal life and spread fear among residents.
“Whether Hindu or Muslim, no family’s life or security should be put at risk. Such a situation is unacceptable under any circumstances,” he said.
Emphasising the need for coexistence, Nepal said both communities must continue to live together with mutual respect for each other’s religion, culture and festivals. He stressed that dialogue and consultation remain the only viable means of resolving disputes and urged all stakeholders not to be provoked.
Nepal said he has been in regular communication with the government and security agencies to prevent further escalation. He confirmed having spoken to the Home Minister, suggesting the enforcement of a prohibitory order (curfew) until normalcy is restored and, if necessary, the mobilisation of the Armed Police Force and the Nepal Army to ensure public safety.
“I have spoken to the Home Minister. The situation must be brought under control, even if it requires enforcing a curfew,” he said, adding that he has been coordinating with the Deputy Inspector General of Police in Janakpur, the Chief District Officer of Rautahat, and the Superintendent of Police.
Nepal calls for restraint amid India-Pakistan tensions, Reaffir...
He urged security agencies and the local administration to ensure that no property is damaged and no individual’s dignity is compromised, stating that hatred cannot move society forward.
Meanwhile, the District Administration Office, Rautahat, has imposed a curfew in Gaur Municipality–6, Sapgadha Tole, after a clash between two communities escalated.
The dispute reportedly began when a wedding procession playing music was obstructed by members of another community, triggering tensions that later turned violent. Although community leaders from both sides reached a six-point agreement at the District Administration Office on Friday evening to defuse the situation, clashes resumed on Saturday morning.
Chief District Officer Dinesh Sagar Bhusal confirmed the agreement but said the situation deteriorated again, leading to fresh confrontations. At least six people were injured in the clashes, while two police personnel also sustained injuries.
Deputy Superintendent of Police Bishnu Pradip Basyal of the District Police Office, Rautahat, said protesters vandalised a vehicle bearing an Indian number plate and 12 motorcycles during the unrest.
Locals said incidents of arson continued in the inner areas of Gaur despite the curfew and the deployment of the Nepal Army. Authorities acknowledged that sporadic violence has persisted in residential neighbourhoods.
Most recently, a scooter was set ablaze in Machkutiya Tole of Gaur Municipality–4. So far, demonstrators have torched six motorcycles and two jeeps. While the main thoroughfares of Gaur appeared largely calm following the deployment of security personnel, several inner localities remained tense.
The unrest is said to have been triggered after a clash in Sangadha village of Gaur Municipality–6, reportedly stemming from a dispute over music played by members of the Hindu community while members of the Muslim community were offering prayers at a mosque.
Clash Between NC and RSP Cadres in Sunsari
In a separate incident, a clash between cadres of the Nepali Congress (NC) and the Rastriya Swatantra Party (RSP) in Sunsari-4 on Friday prompted police to resort to a baton charge.
The incident occurred in Ward 4 of Bhokraha Narsing Rural Municipality during a Nepali Congress election programme. Candidate Gyanendra Karki was on his way to address a rally when he reportedly encountered a group of RSP-affiliated youths.
A verbal exchange quickly escalated into a physical altercation between supporters of the two parties. Police said they carried out a baton charge to disperse cadres after the situation threatened to spiral out of control.
Sunsari Superintendent of Police Keshav Thebe said security personnel deployed for election duty were compelled to use force after members of the NC’s sister organisation, Tarun Dal, and RSP cadres confronted one another.