New York, Aug 23: A tour bus carrying 54 people from Niagara Falls to New York City crashed on Interstate 90 in western New York on Friday, killing five adults and injuring dozens, the AP reported.
According to the AP, the bus rolled onto its side shortly before 12:30 p.m. in Pembroke, about 40 kilometers east of Buffalo. State police Maj. Andre Ray said the driver appeared to become distracted, lost control and overcorrected, causing the vehicle to veer off the road and flip. The exact cause remains under investigation.
US officials hand over three lost antiquities to Consulate Gene...
AP quoted Ray as saying the passengers were between 1 and 74 years old. Several people were thrown from the bus, and many others were trapped inside. Five adults were pronounced dead at the scene. More than 40 people were evaluated or treated at hospitals for injuries including head trauma and broken limbs, the AP said. Ray noted that none of the survivors appeared to have life-threatening injuries.
The AP said most passengers were of Indian, Chinese and Filipino origin. Translators were brought in to assist during the emergency response. Mercy Flight said three of its helicopters, along with three others, helped transport the injured.
The AP quoted Ray as saying that investigators had ruled out mechanical failure and driver impairment. The driver survived and is cooperating with authorities. No charges had been filed as of Friday evening.
According to the AP, the National Transportation Safety Board has deployed a team to assist state police in investigating the crash.