header banner
WORLD

U.S. says to withdraw all remaining diplomatic personnel from Venezuela

The United States is to withdraw all remaining diplomatic personnel from Venezuela this week, the U.S. State Department announced late on Thursday.
alt=
By Reuters

The United States is to withdraw all remaining diplomatic personnel from Venezuela this week, the U.S. State Department announced late on Thursday.



“Like the January 24 decision to withdraw all dependents and reduce embassy staff to a minimum, this decision reflects the deteriorating situation in Venezuela as well as the conclusion that the presence of U.S. diplomatic staff at the embassy has become a constraint on U.S. policy,” the State Department said.


Related story

El Salvador breaks diplomatic ties with Taiwan to favor Beijing


It did not say on what day the personnel would be withdrawn from the embassy in Caracas.


The South American nation has been in the throes of political unrest for months over its contested presidential election.


Venezuela is suspending school and business activities on Tuesday amid a continuing power blackout, Information Minister Jorge Rodriguez said in a televised broadcast on Monday.


It is the third such cancellation since power went out last week.

Related Stories
WORLD

Explosions rock Venezuela capital amid heightened...

Venezuala bombing-1767430440.webp
Infographic

Infographics: Venezuela’s economic tragedy

Venezuela-economic-tragedy.jpg
WORLD

Soldiers unleash tear gas amid tension on Venezuel...

Venezuela-Crisis.jpeg
POLITICS

Ruling NCP denounces US, allies for ‘intervening’...

NCP-jan-26.jpg
WORLD

Backed by military, Venezuela’s Maduro hits back a...

Venezuela-President.jpg