CHITWAN, Nov 24: The construction of the Gautam Buddha International Cricket Stadium in Rampur, Chitwan, was announced on January 30, 2019, at Kathmandu’s Rastriya Sabha Griha. The announcement was made in the presence of senior leaders, including then–Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli, former Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal, and then Nepali Congress (NC) General Secretary Shashank Koirala.
Despite the celebratory launch, things did not unfold as expected. Although the Dhurmus Suntali Foundation had pledged to complete the stadium within two years in partnership with Bharatpur Metropolitan City, the project stalled midway. Citing a lack of funds, the Foundation formally requested Bharatpur Metropolis to take ownership of the project on December 17, 2021.
After conducting a field study, the metropolis agreed to assume ownership. On February 3, 2022, then Chief Administrative Officer Rambandhu Subedi, Accounts Officer Jagannath Aryal, Legal Officer Krishna Prasad Sapkota, and advocate Gopilal Devkota signed documents acknowledging the transfer. Today, Foundation Chair Sitaram Kattel (Dhurmus) and his family remain under stress as the loans incurred during construction are still unpaid.
“My five years of life have gone to waste—running between ministries and Bharatpur Metropolis,” a visibly exhausted Dhurmus said at the metropolis premises. “The federal government allocated a budget, but without local approval, the loans cannot be cleared.” He had been shuttling to the metropolis office continuously for two weeks to settle matters. A video of him declaring he will “never return to Bharatpur Metropolis again,” after becoming overwhelmed, has now gone viral on social media.
Construction had halted since August 6, 2021. After the metropolis took ownership, work resumed in August 2024. Himalayan Kalinchok BBR JV received the contract to complete the remaining works. Twelve companies bid in the second tender, and BBR was selected as the lowest bidder. BBR has been awarded a contract worth Rs 680.26 million.
Way paved for construction of Gautam Buddha Intl Cricket Stadiu...
While federal, provincial and local governments have started funding construction on the existing structure built by the Foundation, local authorities argue that there is still no legal pathway to clear the debt incurred during earlier procurement. “Once ownership is transferred, the liability should also transfer,” Dhurmus said, questioning the authorities. “If electricity dues can be paid under the law, why can't the budget sent from the centre be released?” On September 4, 2024, the metropolis paid Rs 1,089,913 in outstanding electricity fees and transferred the meter in its name.
According to the Office of the Auditor General, the stadium project is valued at Rs 4.98 billion. Following directives from the Auditor General, the Urban Building Project Office and Associates evaluated the costs on January 27 and February 11, 2022 and , under procurement regulations, estimated an expenditure of Rs 632.25 million. However, the Foundation’s submission to the metropolis mentions Rs 579.2 million spent. Of that, Rs 398.03 million came from government agencies, institutions and donations from Nepalis at home and abroad. The Auditor General notes that Rs 184.39 million is still outstanding.
After the metropolis took ownership and resumed work, the federal government allocated funds twice to settle the loans. But metropolis officials say the payments cannot be released as procurement rules were not followed earlier. “We are trying our best to find a legal pathway,” said Administrative Officer Laxmi Prasad Paudel, “If the centre instructs us to pay a grant to the Foundation, then we can release funds accordingly.”
After Dhurmus repeatedly visited ministries, the Cabinet on March 26, 2023, directed the Sports Ministry to provide a grant of Rs 120 million. On June 27, 2023, the Finance Ministry allocated Rs 120 million to Bharatpur Metropolis for the settlement of liabilities. A week later, on July 4, the Finance Ministry transferred the amount to the metropolis with instructions to release funds strictly following law and approved standards. But then Administrative Officer Narendra Kumar Rana wrote to the federal ministries on July 27 stating the funds could not be paid due to irregular procurement processes and the budget was ultimately frozen.
Bharatpur Metropolis’ board had also decided to refund the Foundation’s dues. This fiscal year too, the government has allocated Rs 150 million for payment to the Foundation. However, Paudel insists that the metropolis cannot release the money because the directive cites compliance with procurement laws, which the previous works do not meet.
The Foundation still owes payments to 136 partners, ranging from small to large contractors. According to Dhurmus, one individual alone is owed up to Rs 35.6 million. Based on engineering evaluations, the remaining payment owed to various parties stands at Rs 156.77 million.
The project began after a tripartite agreement was signed on July 3, 2018, for construction on land owned by Tribhuvan University and used by the Agriculture and Forestry University in Ward 15 of Bharatpur Metropolis. The agreement was signed in the presence of 11 representatives, including then PM Pushpa Kamal Dahal, then NC General Secretary Shashank Koirala, former Finance Minister Surendra Pandey, artist Madan Krishna Shrestha, then Law and Human Rights Committee Chair Krishna Bhakta Pokharel, Foundation Vice-Chair Kunjana Ghimire, Technical Coordinator Engineer Resham Dhakal, legal advisor Tikaram Bhattarai and others. Dhurmus was ceremonially welcomed from Bharatpur’s Chaubiskothi with musical processions before being escorted to the construction site.
A grand religious Mahayagya was held in Chitwan to raise funds for the stadium. Though donors pledged Rs 690 million, only Rs 94.1 million was collected, Dhurmus said. Meanwhile, government agencies invested Rs 118.49 million during the Foundation’s phase of construction.
Initially, the plan was to build a 30,000-capacity stadium on 20 bighas and 6 kathhas of land. Now, the metropolis says it aims to build the ground with five pitches, a parapet seating 15,000 spectators, drainage systems and two three-storey VIP towers. A 5,000-capacity parapet had already been constructed earlier.
Dhurmus currently appears mentally distressed. Videos of him seeking medical treatment have spread widely online, as social media criticism continues to target him. While Bharatpur Metropolis argues it cannot release funds without a proper legal basis—even with federal funds available—Dhurmus insists the metropolis is unnecessarily making his life difficult.