KATHMANDU, Dec 30: The government has distributed 243,000 metric tonnes of chemical fertiliser to farmers so far in the current fiscal year 2025/26, from the budget allocated for this purpose.
The Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Development (MoALD) said that out of the budget earmarked for fertiliser procurement in the current fiscal year, the government invited bids to purchase 466,000 metric tonnes of chemical fertiliser, of which 243,000 metric tonnes have already been distributed to farmers.
Similarly, as of the first five and a half months of the current fiscal year, 83,000 metric tonnes of chemical fertiliser remain in stock.
Agriculture Minister Dr Madan Prasad Pariyar said the fertiliser distribution information system has been reformed to make the government-funded fertiliser distribution process more transparent and systematic. The reform allows farmers across the country to view details of fertiliser distributed through cooperatives and local governments on the ministry’s website.
Milk production in Chitwan increases by over 10,000 metric tonn...
He said the move would address complaints related to fertiliser distribution.
The MoALD has requested the Ministry of Finance for additional funds to manage an extra 60,000 metric tonnes of fertiliser for the upcoming rice planting season.
The ministry has also sought approval from the Finance Ministry to secure additional fertiliser for the next fiscal year and has initiated the procurement process after receiving the necessary approval.
Addressing complaints of discrimination in fertiliser distribution from various areas, the ministry has instructed regional offices of the Agriculture Inputs Company Limited to sell and distribute fertiliser quotas equally, without any ethnic, cultural or communal discrimination, in line with local government directives.
Meanwhile, based on the demands raised during the sugarcane farmers’ movement, the report of the negotiation committee, discussions held at various levels with sugarcane farmers and mill owners, and field consultations, the minimum purchase price of sugarcane for the fiscal year 2025/26 has been fixed at a record Rs 620 per quintal, along with an additional grant of Rs 70 to address farmers’ concerns.
The ministry said a high-level committee comprising representatives from the Office of the Prime Minister and Council of Ministers, the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Supplies, and the Ministry of Agriculture has been formed, and work has begun to address the long-term problems faced by sugarcane farmers and sugar mill owners.
RSS