KATHMANDU, Nov 22:The Nepali Congress (NC), the largest political party in the recently dissolved House of Representatives (HoR), has decided to participate in the upcoming parliamentary elections.
The decision was endorsed during the party’s Central Working Committee (CWC) meeting held on Saturday, confirming the NC’s participation in the polls scheduled for 5 March 2026.
“Given that the date for the HoR election has already been announced, the Nepali Congress believes that the appropriate way forward in the current political context is to move ahead through elections. The party has therefore decided to take part in the polls,” General Secretary Gagan Kumar Thapa said during the meeting.
Tingla locals to boycott upcoming elections
The party has also decided to register with the Election Commission for both the National Assembly election slated for 25 January and the House of Representatives election on 5 March.
Thapa added that the NC would contest the National Assembly election on 25 January as well as the HoR election on 5 March. “The Nepali Congress will register with the Election Commission immediately,” he said.
The NC has described the dissolution of the House of Representatives as unconstitutional but maintained that the matter should be resolved through the Supreme Court. The Court has issued a stay order and has sought clarification from the government and the President on the grounds for the dissolution.
The NC further reiterated that the government must ensure a conducive environment for the elections and prioritise recovering stolen weapons and apprehending absconding convicts involved in incidents during the 8–9 September Gen Z protests.
The CWC meeting, which began on 22 October, had been on hold for an extended period and resumed today. The committee remains undecided on the timing of the party’s General Convention.