POKHARA, Nov 1: Local authorities have urged tourists not to trek in the high-altitude areas of Annapurna region due to heavy snowfall.
The Annapurna Conservation Area Project (ACAP) and the local administration said it has become unsafe to trek there due to the risk of avalanches in the upper Annapurna region. The administration has also urged tourists to stay where they are until the weather improves.
ACAP has urged tourists not to trek in areas such as the Annapurna Circuit, Annapurna Base Camp (ABC), Mardi Himal, Khumai Danda, and Kori due to bad weather, rain, and snowfall. It has advised visitors to remain where they are until Friday, as the weather is not expected to improve before then.
“It will be safer to avoid trekking in the Himalayas and postpone the trip until the weather clears,” ACAP said in a notice. ACAP chief Rabin Kadariya said that trekking in the upper Annapurna region remains unsafe for a few more days even though the weather will start improving from Saturday..
“It is not possible to go to the Annapurna Circuit, Annapurna Base Camp (ABC), Tilicho, Mardi Himal, Khumai Danda, or Kori right now. The weather will not improve before Saturday,” he said, “So, trekking to the upper region at this time is risky.”
Royal Trek being promoted during Visit Nepal Year 2020
According to him, trekking to Tilicho and Thorong La Pass within the Annapurna area is also not possible for some days. Due to heavy snowfall in the upper regions of Manang and Mustang, travel has become impossible.
“Some tourists who were heading to ABC have not yet returned from the trail. It’s risky to travel now. Some foreign trekkers are waiting at hotels along the route for the weather to clear,” he said. He added that there is a high risk of avalanches and it has become difficult to identify the trail due to accumulation of thick snow.
According to ACAP chief Kadariya, there are currently around 2,000 foreign and 1,000 domestic tourists in the Annapurna region. “Foreign trekkers had already started their journeys, but many had to stop midway due to the snowfall, while some have already returned. Most domestic tourists have returned back. Trekking will not be possible for another three to four days,” Kadariya said.
The Kaski District Administration Office has also issued a notice urging people not to trek in the Himalayan areas. The administration has suspended vehicle movement in rural areas due to the risk of landslides caused by rain and snowfall. It has urged caution as trekking in the hill areas of Kaski could be dangerous.
Manang Chief District Officer Nabaraj Poudyal also said that trekking in the upper Manang region will not be possible for about a week. He said that routes to high-altitude areas such as Tilicho, Thorong La, and Larke Pass will remain closed for a week.
“Snowfall increases the risk in the upper regions. As the snow starts melting, avalanches may occur,” he said, “Because of this risk, trekking in the high-altitude region has been restricted. Once the situation becomes normal, the administration will issue another notice to reopen trekking.”
He said that hotels in the Tilicho Base Camp area are currently closed due to the heavy snowfall. “Hotel operators have moved down, so trekkers going up will not find food or lodging,” Poudyal said.
According to Poudyal, all tourists stuck due to roadblock in the upper region were brought down to the district headquarters, Chame, on Wednesday with the help of bulldozers. He said that the snowfall has disrupted the trekking season. “Tourists could not complete their treks. Many had to return midway. Safety is more important than trekking, so going up was not an option,” he said.
Trekking season impacted
According to tourism entrepreneurs, this is a peak season for foreign trekkers, but the snowfall has disrupted their plans. The Trekking Agencies Association of Nepal (TAAN) Gandaki Chapter President, Krishna Acharya, said that trekkers were unable to reach their destinations due to the snowfall.
“This is the best time of the year for trekking, and many tourists have arrived for it. But they are now stuck where they are. Trekkers in areas like Thorong La and Tilicho have returned. In the ABC region, the northern side received heavy snow and has fewer facilities, making it more difficult for trekkers,” he said.
According to Acharya, trekking above 3,500 meters above sea level has now been suspended. There is no major problem in the lower regions. He added that some trekkers, who came with a lifelong dream of trekking, are disappointed as they could not reach their destination.